- If a school bus has its lights flashing and stop arm extended, you must stop. The only exception is if you are on the other side of a highway divided by a concrete barrier or grassy median.
- If you are following or traveling alongside a school bus, the law also requires you to stop at least 10 feet away.
- You must wait until the red lights have stopped flashing and the stop arm has been withdrawn before moving.
- Do not start to move until all the children have reached a place of safety.
Penalties are steep for drivers who do not obey school bus laws, according to PennDOT:
- A 60-day driver’s license suspension
- Five points on your driving record
- A $250 fine