Can you believe it's nearly the end of October? We are knee deep in fall, and winter is just around the corner (remember last Halloween's snow storm?). Cold & flu season is in full swing. We may find ourselves unexpectedly at home some day soon, and these "bonus days" are a great time for catching up on some great books.
Picture this – you are curled up in your warm bed, wearing your most comfortable pajamas, sipping a toasty cup of your favorite brew. You snuggle into your pillow and crack open the latest thriller by your favorite author and…
Oh wait, you forgot to stop at the library to pick up a book?
Never fear, the e-books are here!
All you need is a current Allentown Public Library card, a home computer (or Android, BlackBerry, iOS, or Windows 7 device), an Internet connection, and a few free software downloads/apps, and you are able to download e-books and audiobooks right from home!
Log on to the Allentown Public Library's website www.allentownpl.org and click on the OverDrive link. Keep your current APL card handy, as you'll be prompted to enter your bar code number and PIN number (last 4 digits of your primary phone number on record with the library). Follow the easy instructions for your device, and you can check out up to four titles in just minutes! All for free – and all while wearing your pajamas!
This Week at the Library:
- APL Book Club Meeting – 6:00-8:00 PM – The club will be discussing On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan. Copies of the next month's book (Cry, the Beloved Country by Alan Paton) will be available some time after this month's meeting. To register and arrange to pick-up a copy of the next book, please call 610-820-2400 ext. 4.
- Preschool Storytime – 10:00-10:30 AM OR 6:45-7:15 PM– Weekly storytime for children ages 3-5. Registration is required. Please call 610-820-2400 ext. 4 to register.
- Time for Twos Storytime – 6:00-6:30 PM – Weekly storytime for 2-year-old children & a parent/caregiver. Registration is required. Please call 610-820-2400 ext. 4 to register.
- PPL Electric Utilities' E-power Team Program – 7:00-8:00 PM - The E-power Team will be stopping by the Allentown Public Library with energy-saving ideas and a simple message: "You can save. Now's the time." Learn from the team how PPL Electric Utilities' Energy Analyzer can help you evaluate your home's energy use. Find out what options they're planning for customers. Or ask them your energy questions. A raffle for a conservation kit which contains energy saving items valued at $75 will be held at the end of the program! FREE CFL light bulbs for all attendees!
- Infant Lapsit Storytime – 10:00-10:30 AM - Weekly storytime for children birth to 2 years & a parent/caregiver. Registration is required. Please call 610-820-2400 ext. 4 to register.
- Preschool Storytime – 2:00-2:30 PM – Weekly storytime for children ages 3-5. Registration is required. Please call 610-820-2400 ext. 4 to register.
- Library Book Bunch – 6:30 – 7:00 PM – Story and craft program for children in grades K-3. Registration is required. Please call 610-820-2400 ext. 4 to register.
- Off The Page-Poetry/Open Mic Night – 7:30-8:30 PM - A platform for poets, storytellers and musicians to share their works and the inspiration behind them in an intimate setting. Those interested in performing are asked to sign up at the event (first-come, first-served). *Come Perform! Come Listen!*
- Time for Twos Storytime – 10:15-10:45 AM – Weekly storytime for 2-year-old children & a parent/caregiver. Registration is required. Please call 610-820-2400 ext. 4 to register.
- Computer Classes – 9:30-11:00 AM - Every Saturday morning, the Allentown Public Library runs a free computer class. Patrons can signup for the class by stopping by the reference desk, or calling 610-820-2400 ext.1. While signups are are encouraged, drop bys are allowed, space permitting.
- Allentown Public Library Film Series – 2:00-4:00 PM – This monthly film series at the library features award-winning foreign films, independent movies, and documentaries. No ticket is required; admission is always free. For viewing audiences ages 17+
This month's film is The Piano in a Factory A humble factory worker (Wang Qian-Yuan) who moonlights as a musician summons every shred of creativity he has when his estranged wife (Shin-yeong Jang) resurfaces and demands custody of their young daughter, who says she'll live with whomever can give her a piano. With no money to buy the instrument for her, the desperate father tries to grant her wish by building the piano out of discarded scraps. Mandarin with English subtitles.
Allentown Public Library
1210 Hamilton Street
Allentown, PA 18102