Take some time out of the holiday rush to read! The Allentown Public Library hosts book discussion clubs for both children and adults.
Children in grades 4-7 may participate in the Children's Book Discussion Group. This club meets once a month to discuss a common book. The next meeting will be Saturday, December 1, 2012 at 2:30 pm. This month's selection is Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Roderick Rules by Jeff Kinney. Copies of the book are available for registered club members to borrow and read. Pizza will be provided at during the club meeting time. Registration is required for this program. Registration may be done in person at the Children's Services desk, or by calling 610-820-2400 ext. 4.
The Teen Readers' Club is for students in grades 6-12. This month, the club will be reading The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien. The meeting will be held on Friday, November 30, 2012 at 3:45 pm. Copies of this month's book are available to borrow at the Children's Services desk. Refreshments will be served during the meeting. Registration is required for the club. Please register at the Children's Services desk or call 610-820-2400 ext. 4.
Adults of any age are welcome to join the monthly APL Book Group. The next meeting will be on Tuesday, November 27, 2012 at 6:00 pm in the Conference Room. This month's book is Cry, the Beloved Country by Alan Paton. Copies of the book are available to borrow. Please register at the Children's Services desk on the second floor of the library, or call 610-820-2400 ext. 4.
This Week at the Library:
- Computer Classes – 9:30-11:00 AM - Every Saturday morning, the Allentown Public Library runs a free computer class. Patrons can signup for the class by stopping by the reference desk, or calling 610-820-2400 ext.1. While signups are are encouraged, drop bys are allowed, space permitting.
- Special Holiday Hours – The library will be open 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM in preparation for the Thanksgiving holiday.
- Library Closed – The library will be closed all day for Thanksgiving.
- Special Holiday Hours – The library will be open 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM as special Thanksgiving holiday hours.
- Family Book Bingo – 2:30 PM – Children and their parents are invited to play Book Bingo. No registration is required.
- Allentown Public Library Film Series – 2:00-4:00 PM – This monthly film series at the library features award-winning foreign films, independent movies, and documentaries. No ticket is required; admission is always free. For viewing audiences ages 17+
This month’s film is Protektor. As the Nazis occupy Prague, radio host Emil Vrbata (Marek Daniel) tries to protect his Jewish spouse, Hana (Jana Plodková), by collaborating with the Germans in this atmospheric drama that examines the role the media played during World War II. Despite Emil's broadcasting of enemy propaganda, Hana is threatened with internment -- and the couple's deteriorating marriage reaches a turning point when a Nazi official is assassinated. (Czech with English subtitles.)
- Elf on the Shelf Holiday Kickoff Program – 2:00 pm - Join the Children's Services staff in welcoming a very special guest to the library – one of Santa's Elves! The whole family is invited to hear a reading of the Elf on the Shelf book, help choose a name for the library's elf, and to make an elf craft. No registration is required.
- Family Movie: Miracle on 34th Street – 2:30 pm – Free screening of a holiday classic the whole family can enjoy.
Allentown Public Library
1210 Hamilton Street
Allentown, PA 18102