.

Pit Bull Mauls Two People and Dog, Police Say

Salisbury Township Police shot and killed a stray pit bull in the 1400 block of Pearl Avenue after it attacked two people, a dog and an officer, police said.

Salisbury Township police shot and killed a stray pit bull Monday after it mauled two adults and a dog and lunged at the officers, according to a police news release.

Police were called to the 1400 block of Pearl Avenue to investigate a 911 call of a female screaming for help, police said. When officers arrived, they found a woman who was bitten and knocked down by a stray pit bull in her front yard.

While police, with the assistance of Animal Control and the Lehigh County Humane Society, were helping the woman, they were alerted that a 73-year-old man and his dog whom he was walking were being attacked nearby, police said.

The man, woman and dog needed medical assistance. Police transported the man's small dog, who was critically injured with broken bones and internal injuries, to an animal hospital for emergency surgery, police said.

Police continued to secure the neighborhood and a second pit bull was seen in the neighborhood, but was not acting aggressively.

The first stray pit bull returned and "started to aggressively approach two officers," the news release said. "The stray pit bull was shot and killed by police on the scene."

The pit bull's owner was identified and charges are pending, police said. The incident is still under investigation.

Carol Damian February 24, 2013 at 08:43 PM
you really need to do your research Chris before you put your foot in your mouth even further. I have a pitt bull who knows nothing but love. They are the most faithful dogs a person could ever own. My grandkids have rolled around on the floor with him since they were born. They pull his tail, they are rough with him. He loves the attention! Until you have owned one, you have absolutely no right to say they are raised to kill. Most dogs that bite are the smaller breeds. It is only because when a pitt bull bites, cause he was probably trained to or beaten by the owner; it always makes the news because of the stereotypeing out there on them! A pit bull brought up in a loving home just like any other breed will give you unconditional love. The only fear I have is of being licked to death!
Carol Damian February 24, 2013 at 08:46 PM
I agree and they also said it was a stray dog that has probably been beaten and then set free to fend for itself ;(
Patti Stollbs February 24, 2013 at 09:01 PM
People could we get back to the fact that this lady and her dog need help. Every breed dog has good and bad, we all know that, but right now Oreo needs our help. I'm sure we can all spare five or 10 dollars to send . This lady did not ask for this to happen to her dog and as DOG LOVERS lets try and help her out.
Rick Cornish March 25, 2013 at 01:26 AM
38 U.S. fatal dog attacks occurred in 2012.2 Despite being regulated in Military Housing areas and over 600 U.S. cities,3 pit bulls contributed to 61% (23) of these deaths. Pit bulls make up less than 5% of the total U.S. dog population.4 Together, pit bulls (23) and rottweilers (3), the second most lethal dog breed, accounted for 68% of all fatal attacks in 2012. In the 8-year period from 2005 to 2012, this combination accounted for 73% (183) of the total recorded deaths (251 The breakdown between pit bulls and rottweilers is substantial over this 8-year period. From 2005 to 2012, pit bulls killed 151 Americans, about one citizen every 19 days, versus rottweilers, which killed 32, about one citizen every 91 days Annual data from 2012 shows that 50% (19) of the victims were adults, 21-years and older, and the other half were children, ages 8-years and younger. Of the total children killed by dogs in 2012, 79% (15) were ages 2-years and younger In 2012, roughly one-third, 32% (12), of all dog bite fatality victims were either visiting or living temporarily with the dog's owner when the fatal attack occurred. Children 8-years and younger accounted for 75% (9) of these deaths You are not going to tell me that these are safe animals! Just not going to do it! if you want these animal as pets...fine. You will not convince me that these animals are just as safe as a...GoldenRetriever, Springer spaniel, Collie!
Rick Cornish March 25, 2013 at 01:27 AM
Especially here in the Lehigh Valley there is a "toughness" that people want to express by having this breed. That is the only reason...to show off!

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »