Lehigh County police departments collected 944.5 pounds of unused and expired medications during the annual National Take Back Day drug collection event on Sept. 29, according to the Lehigh County District Attorney's office.
Medications were collected at 16 sites in Lehigh County, including the Salisbury Township Police Department which collected nine pounds of medications, and the Giant food store, 3015 W. Emmaus Ave., where Allentown police and Allentown Health Bureau collected 110.5 pounds.
The total collected in Lehigh County during the last five events is 3,268.5 pounds.
“The public has overwhelmingly responded to the collections,” said Lehigh County District Attorney James B. Martin in a press release.
The medications are taken to an incinerator where they are burned.
Below is a list of the 16 collection sites in Lehigh County and the amounts collected at each:
- Alburtis Police Department, 260 Franklin St., Alburtis, 14 pounds
- Catasauqua Police Department, 118 Bridge St., Catasauqua, 10 pounds
- Emmaus Police Department, 400 Jubilee St., Emmaus, 139 pounds
- Fountain Hill Police Department, 941 Long St., Fountain Hill, 10 pounds
- Giant supermarket, 3015 W. Emmaus Ave. Allentown police and Allentown Health Bureau collected medications. 110.5 pounds
- Giant supermarket, 216 E. Fairmont St., Route 9, Coopersburg. Coopersburg police collected medications. 25 pounds
- Walgreen’s Pharmacy, 1702 W. Tilghman St. Allentown police and Allentown Health Bureau collected medications, 173.5 pounds
- Lower Milford Township Police Department, 7607 Chestnut Hill Church Road, Coopersburg, 15 pounds
- Macungie Police Department, 21 Locust St., Macungie, 30 pounds
- Salisbury Township Police Department, 3000 S. Pike Ave., Salisbury Township, 9 pounds
- Slatington Police Department, 125 S. Walnut St., Slatington, 53.5 pounds
- South Whitehall Township Police Department, 4444 Walbert Ave., South Whitehall Township, 246 pounds
- Pennsylvania State Police, Bethlehem Station, 2930 Airport Road, Hanover Township, 9.5 pounds
- Upper Saucon Township Police Department, 5500 Camp Meeting Road, Center Valley, 40 pounds
- Westgate Mall, main entrance, 2285 Schoenersville Road. Bethlehem police collected medications. 31 pounds; and
- Whitehall Township Police Department, 3731 Lehigh St., Whitehall Township, 28.5 pounds.